Friday, March 30, 2007

Ready?

Two summers ago, I got this crazy idea about taking my family on a cross-country vacation. Some of you may have heard a thing or two about the 10-days we came to know as The Great American Adventure. 4,500 miles, six states, three kids, two adults, ten hundred thousand videos, several maps and one car.

I planned our trip to the most minute detail. I had files with sub folders and printouts of every Starbucks between here and the Michigan Upper Peninsula. I had time charts and hotel reservations and planned educational field trips. I had worked out every possible scenario in what I envisioned to be our finest family moment.

I did not plan to break down. For four days. And be stuck in Bowling Green, Kentucky. With no car. And virtually nothing - except free Tuesday bowling and the highly impressive Chevy Corvette museum - to do.

I will confess, in the beginning, I was mad. As a hatter.

Why couldn't the car dealership fix our car? Why was the Warranty company delaying our approval? Why didn't the entire state of Kentucky have at least one MPV (of any sort) that we could rent to move along on our "adventure?"

By day three, I realized that my kids were having a blast. The entire hotel staff had become our greatest champions. The front desk clerk even babysat the kids one night so Trevor and I could go - in the hotel shuttle - out for dinner. Everyone we came into contact with quickly knew of our dilemma; by the time we left Kentucky, we had a bunch of new friends and a bunch of funny memories.

I have to say I'm a little hesitant about this Mission trip. I have no idea what to expect. I have never even been to New Orleans for any reason. I know there will be painting, construction, gardening and (to Joe, Alex, Michael and Mac's great delight) demolition. But I don't know anything else.

I have planned hardly a thing. In fact, it's Friday night and I haven't even started packing. Just an hour ago, Barry Christensen called to ask if I was ready or getting ready. Truthfully, I said: Neither.

The thing I learned on our last Great Adventure... the thing I am reminded over and over again... is that God's plan is so much more wonderful for me than anything I can imagine. His plan overcame the lost transmission. His plan will sustain us through any place that we get stuck. His expectations for us are far more fantastic than any internet research can provide.

In two days, I'll be getting into a car with my 4 family members, 36 of my church family, and our God.

I can hardly imagine what He will have in store for us.

I can hardly wait to share it with you.

-----

Becky Jordan
Blogging the NO Spring Break Mission trip, 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home