Saturday, March 31, 2007

Set?


We met up at church this afternoon... some of us laying eyes on each other for the first time. I stood to the corner with the worker sheet in my hand, trying to learn new names.

Beth Bailey tried hard to pass out First Aid kits and be sure everyone had turned in their insurance forms.

Dan Valentine, clipboard in hand, marched between vans and cars and trucks (oh my!) and proceeded to declare us worthy of two FPC vans!

39 people carry a lotta stuff, I guess. Plus tools, plus air mattresses, plus snacks, plus anything else that seemed necessary.

Debbie Petersen took the label maker in hand and virtually forced customized labels out of it. We each get these nifty lanyards with laminated, labelled cards with everyone's name and cell phone number.

We are so thankful for Mark & Karen Humphrey and all those folks who have gone down before. They know all the details. Even right down to the lanyard.

We all had questions we'd all been wanting to ask: "How is the church there set up?" "Where will we sleep?" "Did you check the weather?" "Can we stop often?" "How fast do you drive?" "Are there any grocery stores down there?" "Can we bring our skateboards?" "What am I forgetting?" "You sure you don't wanna go to the beach?" "Did I say that outloud?"

Then, our hard hat crew showed up.
I saw this shot from across the parking lot and nearly fell down trying to get close enough. I don't know all these kids' names yet... but I am sure, as Katherine Stegall said smiling, I will "know their life stories before the end" of it.

I am looking forward to that.

We would ask three things of you, friends who share our God.

Prayer for safe and uneventful travels. Prayer for us to sing songs of praise to our God. Prayer for the families we leave and the ones we will serve.

Yes. I think we're set.

-----

Becky Jordan
FPC Marietta New Orleans Spring Break Mission Trip
(FPCMTTANOSBMT)
2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home